Monday, July 16, 2007

2 More Days!

It’s down to the wire now; only two more days before I leave the states! I’m going to St. Louis tomorrow to watch my brother swim and then I’m off to Chennai on Sunday. The total travel time is approximately 30 hours so I’ve made sure that I have an abundance of books, magazines, sudoku, and snacks. After I arrive in Chennai, (formerly known as Madras and the capital of Tamil Nadu) I will meet A Projects Abroad worker outside of baggage claim—I won’t be completely on my own in getting to Sivakasi! I have an 8-hour train ride to Sivakasi where my host family will meet me and help me get settled.

I’ve heard that staying with a host family facilitates assimilation and enriches the overall internship experience. I can’t wait to eat Indian food for 3 meals a day (vegetarianism is a must while I’m there). My roommate is from France and is participating in the conservation project. For those of you who haven’t heard of Projects Abroad (http://www.projects-abroad.org/), it’s a British Programme (from now on I while try to write in British English) that places volunteers across five continents in projects such as medicine, journalism, teaching, law, and conservation. It’s geared towards “gap year” students, as it’s quite popular for students in the UK to take a gap year after high school or university. I’m taking part in the journalism project in Sivakasi (located in the state of Tamil Nadu). It’s in the very south of India so the July heat will be nice and toasty. I’ve dealt with Missouri humidity, but I have a feeling it’s nothing compared to what I’m about to experience. 

I’m interning at a monthly magazine called the Sivakasi Times. Each month has a theme that focuses on local issues. I’m particularly interested in covering cultural, literary, and film events—Bollywood and Harry Potter, perhaps? I’m open (and fully hope) to expand my palate and write about environmental issues, news stories, sports, etc. The magazine is entirely run by volunteers so I will assist in editing, publishing, and the overall layout as well. I can’t wait to see what lies ahead!

No comments: